Need help with downloadable eBooks or Audiobooks?
The Liverpool Public Library has two downloadable eBook services:
|OverDrive: Downloadable ebooks
and audiobooks for your devices.
Available for Liverpool card holders only...
Have you checked Mr. G's Tech Tips?
To get help from a librarian:
Visit the library and ask for our flyers on downloadable eBooks and Audiobooks.
If you find that you need some extra help checking out and downloading these materials, request a one-on-one 30 minute session with a librarian. Appointments for one-on-one download help are required: call (315)457-0310 ext 139
Appointments are available: Monday through Friday • 10am – 5:30 pm
Instructional information for 3M Cloud Library:
- How to get started (you must have a Liverpool OCPL library card)
- Special instructions for Kindle Fire users
(Sorry, other Kindle models are not supported by 3M Cloud at this time. Kindle users will find eBooks in the OverDrive Digital Library.)
- How to get the 3M Cloud Reader Apps
- Tutorial videos and Frequently Asked Questions on the 3M Cloud Support site
Instructional information for OverDrive Digital Library:
For online help with library eBook downloads:
Checklist for Downloading Ebooks from the Library using the OverDrive digital catalog
Before trying to check out and download, use the chart below to check to see if you have everything you need for success.
In all cases, you will need:
- an Onondaga County Public Library card and 4 digit PIN; find out how to get one
- an email address.
If you don't have an email address, it is easy to get a free email account. Try Yahoo! or Gmail by Google.
You will need to know your email address and password because email messages will be used to notify you when ebooks on your OverDrive reserved waiting list become available. Some of the required online credentials listed in the table below will require you to use your email account to activate them.
Type of device
Online credentials needed
Additional equipment required
Can you download ebooks to your device at the library?
Other Sources for eBooks
Project Gutenberg is a long-time favorite on-line source for downloadable e-books in the public domain. Visit our "Electronic Books" Explore a Topic page for a list of more sites that offter current and classic e-books for download.
The library has several eReader devices available, preloaded with titles. You can check out the devices and begin reading right away. View the right column for available devices and titles.
Ebook Tutorials and Videos
Be sure to check Mr G's Tech Tips, for detailed instructions for your specific type of device
eBook Tutorial Videos from OCPL for NOOK users
eBook Tutorials and Tips for Kindle users
From OCPL:How to download and transfer library ebooks to your Kindle (illustrates transfer to a Kindle App)
From OCPL:How to return your Kindle ebook early early (uses Manage Your Kindle on amazon.com)
Using the Overdrive Media Console App on your Kindle Fire:
Why would a Kindle Fire user want to use the Overdrive Media Console App? The primary reason is that you will be able to use the WiFi capabilities of your Kindle Fire to check out and download OverDrive library ebooks and audiobooks without connecting to another computer. The Overdrive Media Console App is the perfect solution for those Kindle Fire owners who want to checkout library books while they are traveling and are not able to connect to their computer.
- Browse the Onondaga County Public Library OverDrive downloadables catalog through the App on your Kindle Fire.
- Audiobooks from OverDrive can be downloaded wirelessly onto your Kindle Fire via the OverDrive Media Console App. Choose a title that is in OverDrive MP3 Audiobook format.
- If you first obtain a (free) Adobe ID, you will be able to download OverDrive Adobe EPUB ebooks. Choose a title that is in Adobe EPUB eBook format. Use the App to download the title wirelessly to you Kindle Fire, and read the book using the OverDrive Media Console App. Find out how to get an Adobe ID, if you don't already have one.
Find instructions for installing the OverDrive Media Console App on a Kindle Fire:
- From the OverDrive help files: How to install OverDrive's mobile app on a Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD
- From Wellesley Free Library, a YouTube video: Downloading audiobooks and ebooks for Kindle Fire with the Overdrive App
- From New Hampshire Downloadable Books site, an illustrated text article: Installing the OverDrive Media Console on the Kindle Fire